Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Why Don’t we hear God speak


Why Don’t we hear God speak

Speak God I am Listening Samuel was told to this.
Then He heard Gods voice, tell Him what to do.

1 Samuel 3:10
The LORD came and stood there, calling as at the other times, "Samuel! Samuel!" Then Samuel said, "Speak, for your servant is listening."

We have Ears on both sides of our head and I hope that they are both in working condition.

Do you use them is the question?

"God gave us one tongue and two ears so we could hear
twice as much as we can speak."

Perhaps we need to listen to what our parents always tell us wise people parents are.
When I was a child my mother always told me that we have two ears but only one tongue so that we should hear more and speak less!!!.

Ever ask why do, we speak so much, some of us never even seem to shut up at stages, our tongues we could say are over worked.

So why don’t we Listen
I think that this is pressured on by this world we live in.
Lets look at hunters in the beginning of time it is said that people had a better sense of hearing than they have now.
Some had trained there ears to hear certain animal sounds which not every one could hear. This ear training was you could say an art which had to be practised as they would spend lots of time just sitting and listening to the sounds which animals made in the wild.
Yes I like to imagine that good hunters could even heat an ant move, I have spent time months with bushmen of Africa. They make this clicking sound when they talk. The different clicks at different pitches form a language which they use to communicate to one another. This clicking language is not an easy language to learn at all it takes years of practice and lots of listening they told me.

The trouble with us is we have made a choice not to listen to things and yes sometimes even people in this world we have stopped training our ears I feel.
I often hear my wife say Andrew did you hear what I said.
We choose not to listen, we I know I do, I have selective hearing, So I can choose, so can you choose to hear or not to hear that is the question.

Do you want to hear and it depends on who is talking, is it important, and so on we need to make a choice which will make it easier to listen.

Some of us do listen but we might say we hear to many voices speaking like there are many people talking to us and we are not sure which one is Gods voice. Maybe because we are not sure who is who that is why we choose to listen less.
We are over worked and just to busy to stop and listen carefully as this takes lots of precious time which we don’t have so much of.
Stop making excuses we are all good at that God wants us to Just listen for a change.

I think that often we just don’t recognize God’s voice as God’s voice because we don’t know God’s voice what it sounds like.
Does God speak loud or soft, does He speak at a certain pitch or tone, does God address us in a certain manner. Does He call our name. Maybe now we are getting closer I like to believe that God calls us by name as his word says so.

If you don’t know God well then you wont know what His voice sounds like you could say.

Think of some one you know and how well you know there voice.
I know my wife’s voice on the phone, I’m sure you know your spouses voice when they call you.

I’m sure if you said hello Mary instead of Sharleen then you might just be in a bit of trouble.

We need to know God’s voice just like we know other peoples voices on this earth.

So how do we get to know God’s voice?

1. Firstly we need to Get to know God better.
So how do we get to know God better?
(Deuteronomy 4:29-31 NKJV) "But from there you will seek the LORD your God, and you will find Him if you seek Him with all your heart and with all your soul.
We will get to know God better when we seek Him with our whole heart, when we seek God with all our body, mind, and soul then we will be more open to God.
Change the ways of your body from controlling your mind.
Encourage your mind to think of God more often.
Refresh your soul with God as often as possible.

(2 Chronicles 7:14-15 NKJV) "If My people who are called by my name will humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
Ask for forgiveness and God will supply and we will come to know him better. So that’s cool I now know God. What else?

2. Secondly we need to spend time with God more often.
Where is your chair Bill Hybels tell the story…
Ask where is your Chair when last did you make time for God?

3. Thirdly we need to Be Still and Listen and Record.
Psalm 46 v 10
Be Still and know that I am God.
When was the last time you were really still. I know when I come to God I am not often still. This is a pratice which I have had to force my self to learn and obey.
You see we are not encouraged to be still in this world, we are encouraged to be busy most the time.
But God says Be Still so why not? God rested on the seventh day when he created this earth. So why cant we rest when God asked us to. Be Still is something we can do if only we try a bit it is possible.
Have you ever tried to hear one voice at a time when ten people are talking at once.
It is like you are at a soccer match and ever one is the commentator. Im sure God feels like we are always having say as and when we pray, but God needs to talk to us also. If we don’t be still then we wont hear God speak. If we want to hear God then we must be still. So I challenge you to be still the next time you pray you might hear something from God.
If you do write it down the people in the bible did this that is how we got to get a bible to read. Yes record the message as it is always good to have it to remind us later in life.

4. Fourthly we need to put into Action what God asks of us.
Put it in to action. What good is it if your boss tells you to do something in a meeting and you choose not to action the request. Do you think that your employer will be happy with you if he/ she finds the job ask to do not done.
Prephas you wont have a job no more. Prephas you will face a lot of concerns with your family at home later.
So how must God feel when we ignore Him, after all He is God.

So Action must happen we are the hands and Feet of God.
We need to start learning how to listen...

No comments: